What kind of jobs can you get after obtaining a degree in foreign language?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics just published new labor statistics data categorized by different academic disciplines (https://www.bls.gov/ooh/field-of-degree/). The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Field of degree (FOD) provides a glimpse of workers with the degree and shows occupations, outlook, and more for people in that major.
You can find “foreign language” as one of their discipline categories. The “foreign language” field shows that the median annual wage of $54,000 and the following distribution of workers with a foreign language degree.
- Educational instruction and library occupations: 22%
- Management occupations: 15%
- Office and administrative support occupations: 9%
- Business and financial operations occupations: 8%
- Healthcare practitioners and technical occupations: 7%
- Other: 39%
Two jobs with high projected growth between 2020-2030 are: Postsecondary teachers (i.e., college teachers) and interpreters and translators. Both of them are expected to grow by 24% by 2030.
See the FOD’s webpage for more information.