LaGuardia Community College is recruiting current LaGuardia students who are interested in a paid, in-person position as a Student Success Mentor (SSM). The deadline for application is Friday, December 3, 2021.
Roles and responsibilities
- Attending and participating in required training sessions scheduled to take place in January and February
- Facilitating the First Year Seminar Studio Hour in-person, on-campus.
- Implementing ePortfolio-based assignments and helping students utilize LaGuardia’s digital tools, e.g., Degree Audit
- Helping new-to-college students adjust to the challenges of college and take advantage of the many opportunities and resources at LaGuardia
- Serving as a bridge between First Year Seminar college students and faculty
- Providing support at First Year student events and contributing to the creation of First Year Seminar resources
- Sharing one’s own student experiences and tips for success
- Collaborating with other Peer Mentors to support First Year Students in areas such as advising, and technology support.
- Be current LaGuardia Community College students who have completed a minimum of 24 credits and two semesters with a GPA of 3.0
- Be proficient in English; proficiency in other languages is a plus
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Possess strong leadership skills as well as the ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Possess knowledge of the following software & platforms: Digication, MS Office, Blackboard Collaborate, Zoom, Slack
- Have previous experience developing their own ePortfolio
- Have previous mentoring experience
- Can articulate and demonstrate working proficiency and comfort with the above-mentioned technologies
- Can commit to working for at least two full semesters
The application link is https://tinyurl.com/ssmapp2022.