Summer 2021 FLAS Fellowships for CUNY Students (up to $7,500)
This is a great opportunity for those who want to continue learning Japanese beyond the 2nd-year level. This fellowship is offered by the Columbia’s Weatherhead East Asian Institute. There will be an information session on January 7, 2021. See the attached flyer or https://forms.gle/Kc4MFUEsVTit43897 for more info.
FLAS Fellowship Information Session Sign-up Form
The Columbia University East Asia National Resource Center for the expansion of the study of languages and culture of East Asia is making a number of Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS) summer grants for the study of an East Asian language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Tibetan) available to eligible CUNY undergraduate and graduate students.
Summer FLAS fellowships are intended to help students gain the equivalent of a year’s worth of college-level study in the target language. They support students’ enrollment in formal domestic or overseas programs of intensive language study at the 3rd year level (2nd year for Tibetan) or above.
The summer FLAS Fellowship provides:
- A tuition grant up to $5,000
- A $2,500 stipend
- US citizens or permanent residents only
- Both graduate and undergraduate students must be at the intermediate or advanced level of the language
- Must be participating in an approved summer intensive language program in the US or abroad (for more information about what constitutes an eligible program, please visit the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website at https://gsas.columbia.edu/student-guide/financing-your-education/flas-fellowship-summer
- Academic excellence
- Commitment to the language, and using it as a part of your long-term academic or professional career goals
Interested in learning more?
Sign up below to join us for an information session on Thursday, January 7, 2021 from 4:00 – 5:00 pm ET
Please contact the Weatherhead East Asian Institute Student Affairs Officer, Elizabeth Peiffer, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information