The application for Gilman Scholarship 2020-2021 opened today. The Gilman Scholarship Program provides up to $5,000 for undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens and Federal Pell Grant recipients to participate in in-person or virtual international study abroad programs.
The deadline for this prestigious study abroad scholarship is Tuesday, October 6, 2020 (early deadline) and March 2021. All Pell Grant recipients are eligible. Japanese Option students interested in applying for the study abroad in Japan in Summer 2021 with this scholarship should contact Tomonori Nagano (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Up to $5,000 scholarship ($3,000 for a summer program; $8,000 for a semester-long study-abroad program)
- Deadline is Tuesday, October 6, 2020 for Summer 2021 (early deadline) and in March 2021 for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021
- Only U.S. citizen undergraduate (including community college students) who receive a Federal Pell Grant are eligible
- The choice of study abroad program is up to you and your study abroad advisor
- No GPA requirement
- You will need:
- Statement of purpose (2 pages; maximum 7,000 characters)
- Follow-on project proposal (2 pages; maximum 7,000 characters)
- The priorities are:
- Non-traditional countries (i.e., non Western European countries)
- Diversity of student (say if you are first-generation college student or underrepresented population)
- Critical need languages (including Japanese; see below)
- Academic progress & performance (explain if you have a GPA lower than 3.0)