CUNY’s Asian American/Asian Research Institute (https://aaari.info) regularly hosts lecture series and some of them focused on Japanese culture, politics, history, and language.
All lecture series are recorded and are available on their YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/aaaricuny).
Below are some of the lectures on the theme relevant to Japanese Studies.
- A Cultural History of Spanish Speakers in Japan (https://youtu.be/RNgOYF_kiI8 / 72 min / Wednesday, April 7, 2021)
- What’s Cool about Cool Japan?: Domestic Reaction to an International Phenomenon (https://youtu.be/WdNILFduQPE / 115 min / Monday, May 13, 2019)
- Distant Islands: The Japanese American Community in New York City, 1876-1930s (https://youtu.be/lAUtBCaXdoI / 62 min / Monday, March 25, 2019)
- Shall We Dance? (Japan, 1995) Film Discussion (https://youtu.be/3SfR09O1qIg / 30 min / Tuesday, July 8, 2014)
- The Secret History of the Politics of Public Spending in Japan (https://youtu.be/6KLmuhC9a78 / 57 min / Friday, February 8, 2013)
- A Survey of Japanese and Japanese Americans in the NY Area of Their Awareness on Aging Issues (https://youtu.be/8REotVAnGUg / 50 min / Wednesday, February 6, 2013)
- Globalization and Japanese Creativity: Adaptation of Japanese Language to Rap (https://youtu.be/3hlTMz0deP8 / 63 min / Tuesday, January 29, 2013)
- Historical Revisionism and National Memory in Contemporary Japan (https://youtu.be/NzXZKcBt5SU / 102 min / Wednesday, January 23, 2013)
- Transnational Feminism and the Politics of Women’s Rights in Japan (https://youtu.be/p49Nkb3xplk / 92 min / Thursday, January 17, 2013)
- Using -wa in Japanese and in English (https://youtu.be/DB3aLf_6CbU / 63 min / Thursday, January 10, 2013)
- Chinese Cinema After Winning the Sino-Japanese War (https://youtu.be/-1gqptPPimc / 55 min / Thursday, March 17, 2011)
- CUNY Forum on Buddhism – Ji-Xing (https://youtu.be/2ACJ9iexgto / 7 min / Friday, September 14, 2007)